lundi 18 janvier 2010

The fraicheur is killing me (and so are thirst, hunger etc.)

A few days ago I went to Pèdè, a small village in Northern Benin where we will live. In less than a month we will move to this village but I was there this week to do some repairs to our house.

Our language helper told us that in the North of Benin, during the Harmattan season the temperatures are very low in the morning. This week, I've discovered the « fraicheur » and I understand better the following expressions that mean:

  • The fraicheur is killing me = I'm cold
  • The fraicheur was killing me = I was cold
Interestingly, there are other expressions based on the same construction:
The verb kpa means to kill or to be killed and these expressions mean
  • I'm cold
  • I'm hungry
  • I'm thirsty
  • I'm sleepy

1 commentaire:

Unknown a dit…

Bonjour,

Je suis actuellement en master 1 à Montpellier, et je dois suivre (dans le cadre de mon cursus) un stage que j'ai choisi d'effectuer au Bénin, à Parakou. (Mise en place de la norme ISO 9000)
En faisant quelques recherches sur internet, je suis tombé sur votre blog, et je me suis dis que vous seriez la bonne personne pour répondre à quelques questions...
En effet, la première concerne le visa: comment obtenir un visa de plus de 90 jours?

Ensuite j'aimerais en savoir un peu plus sur la vie à Parakou de manière générale, et les frais (logement, nourriture...)...

Merci de votre aide!

++
Léandre

montapisdebainestjaune[arobase]yahoo[point]fr